st: RE: RE: variable mean and r(mean), why do they differ?

From   "Raoul C Reulen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: variable mean and r(mean), why do they differ?
Date   Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:29:55 -0000

Thanks Maarten,

In my analysis it does make a difference. I have to calculate numerous
mean values, sum them to obtain one variable and then I have to multiply
this by a large factor before I can use it. Any suggestions? Thanks
again.

Raoul

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten Buis
Sent: 25 November 2005 09:08
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: variable mean and r(mean), why do they differ?

Raoul:

Your hunch seems to be correct:

sysuse auto, clear
sum price
gen price2 = price - r(mean)
gen double price3 = price - r(mean)

sum price2 price3

However note that the difference in the highest and lowest price is
aprox. 1,200 dollar and that price2 is different from zero in only the
fifth decimal place, so I would consider that zero for any practical
application.

HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Department of Social Research Methodology Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting adress:

+31 20 5986715

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

"0". How can make sure that both means are equal?
> I have tried .round, .int. , but that doesn't work. Do I have to
change the storage type? Thanks for the advice.