RE: st: check for double id-numbers

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: check for double id-numbers
Date   Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:10:38 -0000

Thanks for the recommendation, but two
points of clarification please:

1. -duplicates- is an official Stata command
added in Stata 8. It certainly draws upon
-dups- but it does not offer exactly everything
that -dups- does. Conversely, it offers
several things that -dups- does not.

2. -dups- was written by Thomas J. Steichen
and myself. The version in STB-41 requires
Stata 5 and a later version on SSC requires
Stata 6.

Raoul does not say what version of Stata he
is using but in accordance with Statalist
convention he is presumed to be using Stata
9.1, in which case -duplicates- is the more
direct of these solutions.

In addition, Maarten Buis is naturally
correct in drawing attention to -isid-
as a possible solution to the narrower