Re: st: log rank test for paired data

From   Ron�n Conroy <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: log rank test for paired data
Date   Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:06:01 +0000

On 17 Samh 2005, at 05:24, Susan Donath wrote:

I have a small dataset (n=12 children) with time to event data for each eye
(24 eyes). There are 2 subgroups (of the eyes), group 1 has less severe
disease, group 2 has more severe disease. A child can have any combination
of these (eg left eye more severe, right eye less severe, etc).
I can use sts test to test for difference in time to event between the 2
groups (using n=24 eyes) but this does not take into account the clustered
nature of the data.
Is there any way I can do a log-rank test which takes into account the
clustering?
You could try -stcox-, which does allow for clustering.

But the problem may run deeper than that. It could be that the status of one eye may determine the prognosis of the other. An eye with less severe disease may have a worse prognosis if the child's other eye has severe disease. (This would certainly be the case in trachoma, for instance, with the severely diseased eye acting as a nidus for reinfection.)

And testing a more nuanced hypothesis like this using 24 eyeballs is going to have your data stretched till they whimper.

Ron�n Conroy

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/