Re: st: xtivreg2

From   "Mark Schaffer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtivreg2
Date   Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:12:37 -0000 (GMT)

Andrea,

> Mark,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. Just to clarify your point, do you mean that
> in my case I should run::
>
> xtivreg2 $text lrectextg dbrcatext lreptextg (= l.lrgdp95pcx l.lreptextg),
> fe first orthog(lreptextg)

Yes.  You don't need the -first- option, btw.

> And in a case of having more than one potentially endogenous regressor,
> would it be valid to run this test for each of those regressors (or pairs
> of
> them) like this?:
>
> xtivreg2 $paper lreppaperg lrecpaperg dbrcapaper (= l.lrgdp95pcx
> l2.lrgdp95pcx l.brcapaper l.lreppaperg l2.lreppaperg l.lrgdp95pcm
> l.lrecpaperg), fe first orthog(lreppaperg)
>
> xtivreg2 $paper lreppaperg lrecpaperg dbrcapaper (= l.lrgdp95pcx
> l2.lrgdp95pcx l.brcapaper l.lreppaperg l2.lreppaperg l.lrgdp95pcm
> l.lrecpaperg), fe first orthog(lrecpaperg)
>
> xtivreg2 $paper lreppaperg lrecpaperg dbrcapaper (= l.lrgdp95pcx
> l2.lrgdp95pcx l.brcapaper l.lreppaperg l2.lreppaperg l.lrgdp95pcm
> l.lrecpaperg), fe first orthog(lreppaperg lrecpaperg)
>
> ...and so on

You could, but probably don't want to try all the combinations, for the
same reason that you wouldn't try all the specifications with/without
various regressors.  Bad practice.

> I checked and results (e.g. on Sargan) seem similar, but I'm not too sure
> STATA is understanding which variables do I believe are endogenous in
> these statements?

Not sure what the problem is.  Whatever you put in -orthog()- is what
-xtivreg2- will treat as endogenous in the comparator regression.

If you want to be sure, run two regressions, one with the variable as
endogenous and one with it as exogenous, and do a difference-in-Sargan (or
difference-in-J) by hand.  The results should be very close to C-stat
generated by -orthog()-.  (See Hayashi 2000 or Baum-Schaffer-Stillman 2003
for why it isn't exactly the same.)

Cheers,
Mark

> Many thanks again!
> Andrea

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3294
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail message is subject to http://www.hw.ac.uk/disclaim.htm