Re: st: math fonts/symbols

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: math fonts/symbols
Date   Sun, 13 Nov 2005 08:54:39 -0800 (PST)

Yes, we haven't answered the original question.  I won't answer it either.
Just a quick plug for WordPerfect.  In my experience I can write a file in
WP6.0 (from 1993) and open it in WP11 (for 2004).  And I can open my WP11
file in WP6.0.  WordPerfect updates therefore have not presented the
problems that WORD updates do to users.

WP has a pretty slick equation editor.  I do not know the internal engine,
but I have equations in my dissertation from 1993 and can read them still
in my updated version of WP.  And, you can change the font of the
equations; I have done so in various documents.

I was talking with a student, and she said, "Nobody still uses
WordPerfect!"  I don't think that's true, or the company would not exist
and keep writing new versions.  But, if anyone has been forced to switch
to Word away from WP, this note is to say my condolences, and to point out
that the $129 or so university price for the software is *well worth*
paying for it out-of-pocket, for WP allows flexibility in documents, knows
how to put footnotes on the correct page, and offers the level of backward
and forward compatibility that should be standard for any software company
trying to help people do their work.

I suppose LaTex is the best answer if you are going to spend your life
writing papers with equations, or if you work with people with whom you
need to share documents and want a platform-independent document and they
are LaTex-enabled.  I work alone 90% of the time (and the 10% is always
with someone using some flavor of WORD), and some of my papers have
equations while some do not.  So WP has been an effective tool for me.
You might consider it.

Take care.
Sam