st: RE: stratifying after regression

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: stratifying after regression
Date   Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:01:43 +0100

Example A is equivalent to adding an additional interaction term between sexe and age (and allowing the variance of the residuals to be different between agecategories). If you think that the effect of sexe is the same for different agecategories than you will loose an unnecessary amount of degrees of freedom (whether this is a problem depends upon your sample size). Anyhow, the predicted differences in means between groups are not from your model: -.xi: reg BP i.age i.sexe group i.age*group-. One way to get what you want is:

tab age, gen(age)
forvalues i = 1/10 { /*assuming you have 10 agecategories*/
 	gen age`i'Xgroup = age`i'*group
}
xi: reg BP i.age i.sexe age1Xgroup - age10Xgroup   /*note that I have excluded group and included the interactions between group and ALL agecatergory dummies*/

I am not familiar with the -adjust- command, and it may be that it does just the same thing as my suggestion.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam