RE: st: how to pool prevalences

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: how to pool prevalences
Date   Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:58:51 +0100

-findit meta- gives you a lot of options
Common weighting of results is not by sample size but by the inverse of the variance, the combination of sample size and confidence interval should give you enough information to get the variance; an ok text is Lipsey, M. W. , & Wilson, D. B. (2001). Practical meta-analysis. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of b. water
Sent: vrijdag 4 november 2005 10:34
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: how to pool prevalences

i want to perform meta-analysis of prevalence studies, weighted according to
size. data available are prevalences and their respective confidence
intervals as well as their population sizes. as a stata user (v. 8 updated,
wxp platform) my first thought was to search for user written code ala
metaaggr but could not seem to locate one in the stata domain (could be due
to wrong search strings i suppose).

i therefore would appreciate if someone could point me to:

1. stata user written code (do-file) if there's one, failing that,

2. pointers to reference(s) for undertaking prevalence meta-analysis, and
weightings