Re: st: question

From   May Boggess <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: question
Date   Thu, 03 Nov 2005 08:42:03 -0600

On Wednesday Scott asked about missing values with multiple record
survival data:

I am missing data for certain time- variant covariates when t is very small. ...
...for all values of t=0 to t=9, I am missing data for sr. .... assume I wanted to fill in those missing values with the same value as t=10. How would I do this?
The Stata command -stfill- is very useful for replacing
values in covariates of multiple record survival data.
With the option -baseline- it replaces all observations
with the earliest value observed. With the option
-forward- it replaces all missing values with the previous
value observed. This is similar to what Scott needs, but
not exactly: Scott needs to replace missing values with the
next value observed.

We can acheive this with careful sorting and replacing.
I will use the command -gsort- to sort the data
in reverse chronological order and then use -replace-:

clear
input id   time   fail        sr
     1      1      0          .
     1      2      0          .