RE: st: Regressing with variables with missing values

From   "Garrard, Wendy M." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Regressing with variables with missing values
Date   Wed, 2 Nov 2005 15:45:34 -0600

Ramani,
The MAR assumption is pretty robust to some violations. The main issue
for MAR is whether you have some observed covariates that provide
information about the missing values.  For example, if household income
is missing, then other variables, if observed, may provide some basis
for (e.g., zip code, occupation, education level) plausible estimation.

If you have some good covariates you may be able to construct a
relatively simple regression model to come up with some plausible
estimates of the missing values.  Note -- if you have good covariates
multiple imputation is also an option.  If you don't have observed
covariate information, and the missing data is non-random (MNAR), then
more specialized (and probably complex) models are required for handling
the missing data.

If you can justify MAR, the -impute- command may help you, although the
multiple imputation algorithms are more cutting edge these days.

Cheers,
wg