st: RE: Brackets: ok for macros, very bad for scalars

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Brackets: ok for macros, very bad for scalars
Date   Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:06:09 -0000

Surprise is in the mind of the beholder. Your surprise depends on the
conjunction of several rules here:

1. Given a choice between interpreting something as a variable and that
same something as a scalar with the same or equivalent name, Stata
always goes for the variable, unless instructed otherwise.  (That seems
clear-cut. Variables are first-class citizens in Stataland; scalars are
minor, ephemeral and dispensable.)

2. You can abbreviate variable names. Thus in your case "y" can mean
"year". (We could argue whether that was a good decision, but too late
now.)

3. Given a variable in a context where only a single value makes sense,
Stata goes for the first observation.  Thus

. di varname

always is taken to mean

. di varname[1]

(Same comment as above. Sure, that seems dopey when it bites you, but my
guess (emphasise guess) is that Stata doing what you think it should
would depend on Stata trying to work out what the user should mean, and
that's hopeless as a route to software design.  People's partners should
be good at sensitive intuition, but people's programs should stick to
syntax, not semantics or intentions.)

I think there are three morals.

(a) If you want to use scalars rather than locals, always use a tempname
for every scalar. That's a little more complicated, but safer. In a
proper program you really always should use tempnames to avoid possible
clashes like this.

(b) Or, or additionally, you can insist on the scalar interpretation by
using -scalar()-.

(c) Every non-trivial language bites if you can't see through all the
implications of all the rules and almost none of us can. There could be
a good article for the Stata Journal on the top twenty gotchas that bite
like this, so part of the issue is just how prominently stuff like this
is documented.

D H