Re: st: RE: Fractional Logit

From   Rijo John <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Fractional Logit
Date   Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:36:43 +0530 (IST)

Thanks Nick. I am trying to estimate the impact of spending on a
particular commodity (say X) on the purchase of other goods and services.
So I have the share of, say commodity Y (Its share in household budget) as
the dependent variable and the expenditure on commodity X along with
various control variables for household as explanatory variables. This can
be a standrad OLS estimation. But since the depended variable is a
fraction and  is bound between 0 and 1 we go for fractional logit model.

I hope this clarifies the problem. Given this I would like to know what
would be the right choice of family and link in GLM.

"family(gaussian) link(logit)" or "family(binomial) link(logit)" or some
other combination?

in "family(binomial) link(logit)" is it tru that stata takes all values
other than 0 in the dependent variable as 1. If thats the case it does not
take the budget share (absolute amount) information into account. It will
only see if the budget share is absent or not.

Kindly advise.

Thanks,
Rijo.