Re: st: Filenames of datasets

From   Henrik Stovring <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Filenames of datasets
Date   Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:53:37 +0200

Not to discuss with myself, but I have received an answer to my query
below (briefly: why doesn't Stata by default keep track of the precise
location of the file the current dataset was opened from/saved in) from
Stata's Technical Support, which I would like to share with you:

You should be able to use the -creturn list- values -c(pwd)- and
-c(filename)- to create the path to a filename even if you have used the
-cd- command.

I think this is correct and corresponds with my understanding, but to me
this answer does not address the real issue: Careless (or just ordinary)
use of cd commands does not impact the filename reported in -describe-
nor the filename used in -save, replace-.

To me the sensible interpretation of a command like -save, replace-
would be that the data was saved in the actual dataset last
opened/stored, but this is not true if a change of directory has
occurred inbetween. Similarly, the -describe- command may point to a
dataset not to be found in the current directory without indication of
its true location.

So, summing up, I certainly agree that the values -c(pwd)- and
-c(filename)- can be used to keep track of the location of the
originating file of dataset - I just fail to understand why this
bookkeeping is not integrated into the default behavior of -save- and
-describe-.

Best,

Henrik

--