st: Re: Bootstrap and pweights

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Bootstrap and pweights
Date   Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:48:27 +0100

Ben,

A good reference on the subject is:

Deaton, A. (1997) "The analysis of household surveys: a microeconometric approach to development policy", World Bank

It uses Stata (version 4.0) in its applications and the do-files are available online:

http://www.worldbank.org/lsms/tools/deaton/

As I understand, the problem of bootstrapping with weighted data (pweights) rests in the difficulty of respecting the total population where the data comes from. In the case of survey data, multiplying the observations by its respective -pweights- will give you the total population. When you use -bootstrap- or -bsample- the data generated violate this property.

A suggestion could be to expand the data using the -pweights- and then carry on the resampling, however if the survey design is a complex one --very likely--, you wont be able to reproduce the population with your bootstrapped sample. A second possible solution is to make the resampling within each value of -pweight- (usually the PSU or Strata or a combination of both under complex survey data). In this case you will be able to reproduce the total population.

see: -svybsamp- and -svybsamp2-

I hope this helps,

Rafa

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jann Ben" <[email protected]>