RE: st: Residual and influence diagnostics for conditional logistic regression

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Residual and influence diagnostics for conditional logistic regression
Date   Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:09:46 +0100

We are both right here.

-search- without options searches for keywords in a
specific sense as explained in the documentation.

-findit- or -search, all- adds an extra search of
the internet, or strictly of a database produced
daily by a search conducted by StataCorp software.

You are totally correct that the visibility of
user-written software depends on the words
employed by Stata user-programmers to describe
their programs.

Dupont, William

> Nick
>
> I am a little confused as to who can and should do what.  Perhaps I am
> using "keyword" incorrectly.  However, it is currently possible to use
> -findit- to find user-written programs that have not been published in
> STB or SJ by searching for "keywords".  In fact, brief experimentation
> suggests that -findit- can find any phrase that is given in a
> program's
> help file.
>
> For example I submitted a program to calculate restricted
> cubic splines
> to the RePEc data base.  To date, this program has not been
> described in
> either STB or SJ.  However,
> -findit cubic splines- finds the program without difficulty.  My help
> file contains the phrase -implicitly specifies k knots
> located at xvar-
> .  The command
>
> -findit implicitly specifies k knots located at xvar-
>
> immediately finds this program.  Hence, I infer that as long
> as authors
> put appropriate keywords or phrases in their help file, users will be
> able to find their programs using -findit-.
>
> Incidentally, Ronna Cong does not mention conditional logistic
> regression in her help file.  She does mention "Delta-Beta influence
> statistics" and -findit- finds her program using this phrase.
>
> I guess what I should have said was to urge all authors who contribute
> programs to the Stata community to include lots of helpful
> keywords and
> phrases in their documentation.  If I am correct that
> -findit- searches
> all contributed help files for matches, then this fact is of value for
> the Stata community to know.

Nick Cox