st: RE: Question on Removing Superfluous Data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Question on Removing Superfluous Data
Date   Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:05:57 +0100

In Stata columns are always called variables.
This surely is prominent in all introductory
literature on Stata.

Not only do I not know of such a command, but
the existence of such a command strikes me
as utterly unlikely.

I am prepared to be embarrassed by a counter-example,
but my reasoning is as follows.

This would require a Stata program to be written
that scanned through a
do file in advance of it being executed, to
check for

0. variable names being used implicitly

1. variable names being used explicitly

2. wildcarded variable names.

Those variable names might occur in lots
of places, not only immediately following
a command name, or a command and subcommand
name, but also within -if- conditions,
within option names, etc., etc.

What is more, a do file might in principle
call other do files, so they would need to
be scanned too.

I doubt if this is a complete catalogue
of the potential difficulties.

I'd guess rather that your professor is