st: RE: Classifying Subjects

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Classifying Subjects
Date   Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:08:33 +0100

Your example indicates that gaps may exist in the data.
Subject 31 was not measured in various years e.g. 1987,
1988. Thus if you want classification according to
consecutive years you need to specify how missing
[meaning, not present in the data] values are to be
treated. Do you mean just consecutive tests?

In addition, it seems possible in principle that
an individual could be assigned to two or more
classes according to different parts of their history.

So, I am not clear that writing specific code is
the best answer to you until these ambiguities are
resolved. But if you go

. bysort id (dot) : gen t = _n
. tsset id t

you can look for spells in your data according to
your stated criteria. The user-written
program -tsspell- from SSC can be then used. It has
a fairly detailed help file.

Raphael Fraser