RE: st: Stata 9 - other questions on windowing

From   "Donald Spady" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata 9 - other questions on windowing
Date   Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:41:25 -0600

I found that the site below was quite helpful in figuring out the windows
mess.  It is a short movie that takes you through the various options
available.

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/topics/stata9.htm

Hope this helps
Don Spady

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Gary Longton
Sent: October 7, 2005 12:30 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Stata 9 - other questions on windowing

Herve STOLOWY wrote:

  > 2 - Command window disappearing
>
> A few days ago I raised this issue and thought I found the solution (with
factory settings in preferences). This solution works as far as I don't try
to increase the size of the command window (while reducing the results
window). I soon as I make this change, my original problem comes back: the
command window disappears if I click in the menu or in the results. I need
to click on "window>command" in the menu but, even in this case, I can't
have the menu and the command line available at the same time.

> Would you have any idea?

I hesitated to answer this, as it seems many aspects window behavior
under Stata 9 seem to depend on the *combination* of various windowing
preference settings and initially arriving at an acceptable combination
was quite confusing to me also.  That said, here's a stab at a simple
step that might help:

Try checking the "make windows float" box under the Prefs menu ->
general preferences -> windowing tab.

This should prevent the main window (with menu) from obscuring the
command window.

- Gary