st: plain text messages

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: plain text messages
Date   Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:32:18 -0400

Thomas said

Unfortunately, a few of us cannot modify their email client settings to
send plain text messages. This is especially true for those
environments exclusively using webmail clients (e.g. Outlook Web
Access). Here the option to send plain text messages can only be set
globally for every user.

I was able to find a workaround, but realize not everyone can do that.
Perhaps, something can be added to the Statalist FAQ on this topic.

Although the official email environment at a site may not be amenable to customization (I have particular sympathy for those afflicted with Lotus Notes email), one always has the choice of using an account at hotmail, yahoo, gmail, or .mac -- most of which are free. Many of these mail programs can also auto-forward mail to your "official" account, and they are customizable in terms of non-HTML, non-Vcard, non-all-that-other-crud-favored-by-Outlook (I don't know about MSN mail, though...)

It would be somewhat of a pain to remember to use your 'other' email client to post to Statalist, but the alternative is unappealing. If you have ever read the Statalist-Digest (as I do), or looked through the archives and come across a message filled with thousands of bytes of such crud, you will understand that others' willingness to help answer your questions is correlated with your ability to avoid make a mess of their mailbox (or the archives). The sign of the correlation is left as an exercise.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

*
* For searches and help try: