RE: st: RE: Generating skewed distributions on closed intervals

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Generating skewed distributions on closed intervals
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:50:30 +0200

There are various skewed distributions to choose from: the lognormal, Chi square, F, gamma. These all have a range from 0 to positive infinity.
A distribution that can be skewed, symmetric or flat depending on its parameters, and remains between a fixed range is the beta distribution.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Reza C Daniels
Sent: donderdag 29 september 2005 13:29
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: Generating skewed distributions on closed intervals

Hi Maarten,

My problem is exactly one of data coarsening, as explained by Heitjan
and Rubin (JASA, 1991). The exception is that they applied this to
heights and I'm wanting to apply it to age.

I am also aware of the need to multiply impute. However, I wanted the
uniform, normal and skewed distributions first before imputing, so that
once I obtained the multiply imputed estimates, I would have something
to compare them to.

Reza