Re: st: RE: Generating skewed distributions on closed intervals

From   Reza C Daniels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Generating skewed distributions on closed intervals
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:33:43 +0200

Hi Maarten,

I tried this in the following way:

set obs 100
-gen z1=invnorm(uniform())- where z>0
-gen z2=ln(z1)- for positively skewed
-gen z3=exp(z1)- for negatively skewed

As I'm sure you know, this gives me the correct shape of the distributions I'm looking for, but the incorrect range.

So, I still can't solve it.

Thanks anyway,
Reza

Maarten Buis wrote:

It reminds me of an ordered probit problem: you have one unobserved distribution, which is being carved up. Only now you also have information about where the cuts are made. This should be solvable. You might want to look at the log normal instead of the normal though, since no one can get, or has ever been, -2 (even with plastic surgery).