st: confidence interval for covariance

From   Roger Harbord <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: confidence interval for covariance
Date   Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:43:12 +0100

Hello,
Does anyone know how to find a confidence interval for the covariance of 2 variables (NB not the correlation) based on a sample of iid observations from (approximately) a bivariate normal distribution?

Stata code would be ideal (esp if it allows aweights), but a formula or a reference would be a great help too.

I guess i could always bootstrap but my sample sizes are rather small (often around 5 to 30).

Thanks,
Roger.

--
Roger Harbord [email protected]
MRC Health Services Research Collaboration & Dept. of Social Medicine

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/