st: Re: updating outreg

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: updating outreg
Date   Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:41:55 -0400

As SSC maintainer, I would recommend circulating this new version of outreg as outreg2. I do not replace material on SSC without the author's request unless (a) it is clearly disfunctional or (b) the author has accepted the new person as the new maintainer and coauthor of the routine. Since outreg works for some people some of the time, it should stay on SSC. I would be glad to host -outreg2-, Roy's modified version, on SSC.

Per my previous message, I would personally find such a routine of no value unless it could handle LaTeX output, a simple transformation of tab-delimited output. If Roy would like the outreg code for Gallup's version 4.x, which does have LaTeX output options, he should contact me privately. I used outreg with the LaTeX option for several years in my own work, and for what I was doing it did a nice job -- but the program required frequent tweaking, since it did not know how to handle commands that I had written (understandably). If Roy doesn't want to be bombarded with questions (cluttering up Statalist!) he should figure out how to make outreg emulate estout and accept the results of any estimation command, using what has been left behind to determine what can be presented for that particular command. Otherwise outreg(2) will always be a poor second to estout in its capabilities to get the job done without further programming.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html