Re: st: calculating SMRs, examples?

From   Seb Buechte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: calculating SMRs, examples?
Date   Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:53:18 +0200

Raoul,

to calculate the expected number of deaths you may want to do the following:

AFTER -stset- and -stplit-

gen _e=(_t-_t0)/1000000 * mrate

The "1,000,000" works for rates that are scaled to 1,000,000
person-years which is the case in most of my data. If your reference
rates are per 100,000 person-years than enter this number into the
command. Obviously, other persontime units like person-days etc. also
work - as long as you get the scale right.

Make sure, that before you do the poisson regression you collapse your
date appropiately otherwise the log likelihood is biassed as as you
have an articially increased number of observation eventhough your
reference data is only available in a grouped way.

Kind regards,
sebastian

- Seb F Buechte
-