st: RE: RE: RE: Updating Outreg

From   "Steve Stillman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: Updating Outreg
Date   Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:13:43 +1200

As a user of both outreg and estout, I'd have to say "none" is not
exactly correct.  estout is a terrific program, it is quite powerful and
very flexible (and Ben deserves lots of credit for creating it).  That
said, as is the case with many/most powerful and very flexible programs,
the syntax is not concise (in the sense that there is too much to
memorise).

While everything that can be done by outreg can also be done by estout,
I find one advantage to outreg is that I rarely need to look at the help
or syntax diagram when using it.  Just "outreg [varlist], using filename
[append] [replace]" and some easy to remember options on formatting will
get you where you need to go.  Since I often use outreg when I am
running many regressions to check specifications, there is an advantage
to having an easy to memorise command.  These days, I then switch to
estout to produce my final tables since it gives you more control over
the end product.

That is my 2-cents anyway.  So, Roy you definitely have some user
support for your updated version of outreg.

Cheers,
Steve