Re: st: Finding the menu location of a known command

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Finding the menu location of a known command
Date   Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:58:47 -0500

Mike Lacy <[email protected]> asked:

> I find that I often would like to find the menu location of a command whose
> name I know but whose location I cannot remember. For example, let's say I
> can't remember where -regress- is located in the menu system. I'm aware
> that I can do -db regress- to bring up the dialog, or do -help regress- and
> click on the highlighted command name in a help screen. However, I would
> like to have somew ay to find out that the menu path to -regress- is
> Statistics/Linear Models and Related/Linear Regression.
> I had presumed I was just overlooking such a feature, but I still haven't
> found it after RTM etc. Suggestions?

There is no facility that I know of that will list out the menu
path for you.  However, you can look at the ".mnu" files that
Stata uses in constructing most of the menu paths.  In Stata 9
the .mnu files are:

    stata9data.mnu    stata9graphics.mnu  stata9.mnu
    stata9export.mnu  stata9import.mnu    stata9stats.mnu

(In Stata 8 replace the "9" with "8".)

To find these files you can use the -which- command

    . which stata9stats.mnu

for example, and you will see where this particular .mnu file is
located on your system.  In Stata 9 there is also the new
-viewsource- command -- if you want to look at the .mnu file in a
Stata viewer you can say

    . viewsource stata9stats.mnu

If you look at these files and then compare them to the menus you
will see how they are organized.  Search for "DB regress" in the
stata9stats.mnu to see the line that tells where the regress
dialog will land in the menus.

You will also notice that not everything that appears in the
menus is defined by the .mnu files.  For instance under "File",
only the "Import" and "Export" submenus are defined in .mnu files
(using the stata9import.mnu and stata9export.mnu files).  The
reason for this is that there are some of the menus that are
created/defined in the internal code of Stata while most are
defined with .dlg and .idlg files.  It is the .dlg and .idlg file
defined dialogs that are controlled by the .mnu files.

Ken Higbee    [email protected]
StataCorp     1-800-STATAPC