Re: st: double precision after DBMSCopying from excel to stata

From   TEWODAJ MOGUES <[email protected]>
To   Stata _ <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: double precision after DBMSCopying from excel to stata
Date   Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:13:57 -0400

Sven, thanks for your tip. Transforming the numbers excel into text
didn't really work that way as it still leaves the numbers numeric (in
the sense that if, after transformation, I type in cell D4 the
following:   =D3+1      where D3 contains one of the transformed
numbers, it should give me an error message, but instead it dutifully
calculates the formula, even after transformation of D3 into text. So
DBMS'ing after that unsurprisingly leaves the precision problem intact.
However, your response helped me in that it reminded me that by simply
entering an extra row in each of the numeric columns and typing some
letter into each cell of this row, *then* DBMSCopying, gives the
desired result, since stata treats as a string variable any column that
contains even one string observation.
tewodaj

--------