Re: st: how to use multiple datasets?

Subject   Re: st: how to use multiple datasets?
Date   Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:04:05 -0500

At 05:37 PM 7/30/2005 +0200, Svend Juul wrote:

Question:
Is it a technical or legal constraint that forbids you to open a dataset with Stata and next save a copy of it on your own computer?

That seems to be neccesary to perform what you want. For each country:
1. Open the dataset from the server.
2. -keep- the variables you need.
3. -save- the reduced dataset to your own computer
4. modify the X1,X2 variables to conform the same rules for all countries

Finally, -append- the modified datasets.
This definitely sounds like the way to go to me. The main problem, I suppose, would be if you do not have write-access to the hard disk, or for some legal reason are not allowed to make extracts or copies. If so, you could do something like

use file1.dta
...do whatever to X1, X2
gen fixed = 1
append using file2.dta
...do whatever to X1, X2 if missing(fixed)
replace fixed = 1
append using file3.dta
etc., etc.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463