Re: st: memory for matrices

Subject   Re: st: memory for matrices
Date   Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:51:37 -0500

At 04:35 PM 7/26/2005 -0700, NEYMOTIN, FLORENCE wrote:
Hi, I have some technical questions about writing .ado files for semi-commercial stuff: (1) how do you make sure that the names you are giving the .ado files don't conflict with other people's program names? Is there some kind of standard?
I asked that myself a while back, and the answer seems to be that you can never be 100% safe. I would suggest -findit progname- to see if there are any known uses of the name. Even if there aren't that doesn't mean that somebody else isn't using the name or couldn't try to use the name in the future. I would suggest getting your program on ssc, as that is the most widely used site for Stata files, and hence may make your claim on the name the strongest.

If by semi-commercial you mean you are going to sell your programs rather than make them publicly available, then you can see whether the name is currently in use, but your file names won't show up on a -findit-, increasing the likelihood that somebody else may try to use those names in the future.

If you are really worried about it, you might just want to use weird names no one else would ever think of - especially for any supplemental ado files that aren't used directly by users but which get called by other programs.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]