Re: st: time dummy in random-effects model

From   "ALICE DOBSON" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: time dummy in random-effects model
Date   Sun, 24 Jul 2005 08:35:43 -0400

But, in case of small samples does it not use up some degrees of freedom?
Alice

From: David Greenberg <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: time dummy in random-effects model
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:53:04 -0400

The purpose of the time dummies is to take into account effects that may
influence all cases in a given year to the same amount. If you think
they are likely to exist, then it would be wise to put them in. This can
help to eliminate a possible source of spuriousness due to common trends
in observed variables. David Greenberg, Sociology Department, New York
University