st: Variable number of matrixes as arguments

From   Herb Smith <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Variable number of matrixes as arguments
Date   Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:36:07 -0400 (EDT)

This is a programming question.

I have a program, "project" that takes two matrixes (say, "matrix1" and
"matrix2") and a number (say, "n") and returns a result as a matrix (say,
"matrix0").  I have no trouble writing a program that calls the routine
via

. project matrix0 matrix1 matrix2 n

along the lines

. program project
.	args result history ratios years

where "result" etc. are local macros corresponding to the arguments being
passed in the call or command line.

My problem is:  What happens if sometimes when I want to run the routine,
I want to pass another argument, say, "matrix3", but sometimes I do not?
If I make this argument the last in the local macros, e.g.,

. program project
.       args result history ratios years births

how can I see whether "matrix3" was passed to `births' or not?  I.e.,

. project matrix0 matrix1 matrix2 n matrix3

versus

. project matrix0 matrix1 matrix2 n        ?

Similarly, how can I allow "n" not to be specified in the call line?

	All of this is simple with "syntax" instead of "args", except I do
not understand how to pass (call) matrixes using syntax...

	Thanks in advance for any help....

	--Herb Smith

Professor of Sociology and
Director, Population Studies Center