st: RE: RE: Herfindahl index

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Herfindahl index
Date   Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:53:31 +0100

Note that what (some) economists know as
the Herfindahl index

* is known as the Simpson index (coefficient,
whatever) by ecologists

and

* is one of those measures known by statisticians and some
others as the Gini index (coefficient, ...)

-- subject to some people calculating the complementary
probability.

Hence various programs already exist to do what
you want, not that undermines any calculation
from first principles.

This is orthogonal to Austin's concerns.

austin nichols

> You should read the help for genearate and egen, but before you can
> implement the right commands, you will also want to nail down the
> definition of the HHI:
>
> egen double sasset=sum(asset), by(state year)
> bysort state year: g double shsqrd= (asset/sasset)^2
> egen double HHI=sum(shsqrd), by(state year)
>
> The above will be valid if you have a balanced panel.  Have you
> thought about what to do for firms that enter or exit the panel, or
> are missing data for intermediate years?

Dawood Ashraf