Re: st: Tracedepth and tracenumbering

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Tracedepth and tracenumbering
Date   Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:08:04 +0100

I see nothing odd here. Stata regards your implicit -do <current do file editor contents>- as a level to be counted.

Peter Jepsen

I am experiencing some unexpected behaviour from my fully updated Stata 9
running on Windows XP. I wonder if anyone can confirm the following. It's about this simple program:

clear
sysuse auto
set tracedepth 1
set tracenumber on
set trace on
logistic foreign headroom

If I -do- the program from the do-file editor, I get this result:

------------------------------------------------------ begin logistic ---
02 - version 6.0, missing
02 - local version : di "version " string(_caller()) ", missing :"
02 - if _by() {

If, on the other hand, I copy and paste the lines into the command window, I
get this (which is what I expected):

-------------------------------------------------------- begin logistic ---
01 - version 6.0, missing
01 - local version : di "version " string(_caller()) ", missing :"
01 - if _by() {

These two outputs are similar except from the numbering and tabbing, I'd
say.

If, in the do-file editor, I change -set tracedepth 1- to -set tracedepth
3-, the tracenumbers will range from 2 to 4. If I do the same from the
command window, I get the expected range of 1 to 3.

I'm guessing that there is something odd going on with the tracenumbering.
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/