RE: st: destring, keeping leading zeros

From   "Wallace, John" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: destring, keeping leading zeros
Date   Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:31:13 -0700

I frequently have a similar data situation which I handle by keeping a
string version of the variable (for use as a handle in filtering, e.g.
-keep if inlist(wafer, "510345", "505433"), and an -encode-d version
which I use when constructing graphs, running ANOVAs or similar
functions which only take numeric variables.  The strings tend to be
more meaningful to me (I don't have to map the encoded numbers back to
whatever the string was mentally), so the extra dataset size is worth
it.

YMMV
-JW

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nawar, Eric
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: destring, keeping leading zeros

Because I was trying to figure out a way to put labels on this variable
(without creating an additional variable just for the label as was
suggested a few years back for a similar posting about putting labels on
string variables - we both are in a situation where we have thousands of
medical codes where we wanted to put labels...and 123 and 0123 are
different codes).