Re: st: re. problems with 'update all'

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: re. problems with 'update all'
Date   Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:45:16 +0100

> I've encountered major problems with using the 'update all'
> command. I was runnning version 8.0 but now cannot run some
> commands that were working fine before I tried to update.
>
> Thus, trying to run 'collapse' then 'poisson' in version 8.0 generated
> the following errors:
>
> . version
> version 8.0
>
> . use "C:\Roger\DK Studies\PhD\FINAL\AllAff(dad9)MthAC.dta",
> clear
>
> . xi: poisson _d i.d9a_m2, e(pyrs) iee
> version 8.2 not supported
> r(9);
>
> . collapse (sum) _d pyrs, by (ageband ageband2 period d9a_m2)
> invalid syntax
> r(198);
>
> Could anyone please advise me as to how this has happened and
> how I can fix the problem so that I can run these commands?

There are known problems regarding updating the initial version of Stata 8.0 (e.g.
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-03/msg00667.html see also the searchable
archives at http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/).

However, as your version shows version 8.0, it suggests that you maybe missed out the
-update swap- step which updates the executable.  This would result in any ado files
that were updated to version 8.2 from complaining about the version.

Try the steps in the message detailed above.

HTH's

Neil

Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"If your result needs a statistician then you should design a better experiment" -
Ernest Rutherford