st: How to list just the first case meeting a selection criterion?

From   paul gronke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How to list just the first case meeting a selection criterion?
Date   Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:09:33 -0700

I am dealing with an extremely large (2 gig) dataset and wish to list
just the first case that meets a set of criteria.  There are about 200
separate sets of criteria (county and precinct values).

Thus, I'd like a command that does something like:

list name address1 address2 county precinct city state
     if [first one of] county=VALUE & precinct=VALUE

repeated about 200 times.

I could do this with
     sample 1 if CRITERIA

but that seems needless complex, especially since all I want is the
first case that meets 200 combinations of county and precinct.

Thanks
Paul Gronke
Reed College