st: RE: Re: problem with embedded quotes in strings

From   "David E Moore" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: Re: problem with embedded quotes in strings
Date   Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:52:23 -0700

I guess I wasn't especially clear.  It isn't that Stata can't grab a line from
an ASCII file and display it correctly on screen, with or without quotes.  The
problem is that you can't do much with that line unless it's less than the
length limit for string variables, since all string functions or, more
generally, any expressions involving that line will truncate it if it is longer
than the limit for strings.  You couldn't, for example, sort a file using
numeric data toward the end of each line, if the lines were longer than 80
characters (or 244 for Stata/SE), because you have no reliable way to get at
that data.  Moreover, you'd still have to move the data from the macro into
Stata variables in order to sort the file.

Now, I suppose one might be able to chop a long macro into smaller pieces using
only macro extended functions, store the pieces in string variables, fiddle with
each of those pieces to locate and extract the sort fields, sort everything, and
reconstruct the original lines via macros.  But that seems a daunting task given
all the opportunities for errors - not to mention the time it would take to do
all this with a file that contains more than a few records.

Dave