RE: st: RE: Generating dummies

From   "ALICE DOBSON" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Generating dummies
Date   Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:59:06 -0400

ALABAMA  	1
ALASKA  	2
ARIZONA  	4
ARKANSAS  	5
CALIFORNIA  	6
COLORADO  	8
CONNECTICUT  	9
DELAWARE  	10
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA  	11
FLORIDA  	12
GEORGIA  	13
HAWAII  	14
IDAHO  	16
ILLINOIS  	17
INDIANA  	18
IOWA  	19
KANSAS  	20
KENTUCKY  	21
LOUISIANA  	22
MAINE  	23
MARYLAND  	24
MASSACHUSETTS  	25
MICHIGAN  	26
MINNESOTA  	27
MISSISSIPPI  	28
MISSOURI  	29
MONTANA  	30
NEBRASKA  	31
NEVADA  	32
NEW HAMPSHIRE  	33
NEW JERSEY  	34
NEW MEXICO  	35
NEW YORK  	36
NORTH CAROLINA  	37
NORTH DAKOTA  	38
OHIO  	39
OKLAHOMA  	40
OREGON  	41
PENNSYLVANIA  	42
RHODE ISLAND  	44
SOUTH CAROLINA  	45
SOUTH DAKOTA  	46
TENNESSEE  	47
TEXAS  	48
UTAH  	49
VERMONT  	50
VIRGINIA  	51
WASHINGTON  	53
WEST VIRGINIA  	54
WISCONSIN  	55
WYOMING  	56

From: Richard Williams <[email protected]>
To: [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: st: RE: Generating dummies
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:43:12 -0500

At 08:25 PM 6/21/2005 +0100, Nick Cox wrote:
It is interesting to learn, from a surprising source,
that the United States has recently added six more
states. Do their people have votes? Do they know about their
new status? Or this just a short-hand for Puerto Rico,
etc., etc.?
Incidentally, in one of my data sets, which uses government data, the 56th state is Wyoming and the 11th state is the District of Columbia. Puerto Rico is the 72nd state. We don't seem to have states 3, 7, 14, 43, 52, or 57-71, at least in my list. I bet Guam is 14 and Virgin Islands is 52, and somebody with a good knowledge of U.S. territories can probably fill in the other gaps.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]