st: RE: unique value count in several variables

From   "Wanli Zhao" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: unique value count in several variables
Date   Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:17:12 -0400

Thanks, Nick. I looked into the suggestions and I think I might have
confused you on my problem. My panel data is like this:
Gvkey  psic  ssic  year  subno
1223   4767  4743  1999  1
1223   4767  4763  1999  2
1223   4757  4767  1999  3
1223   4767  4753  1999  4
1223   4777  4787  1999  5
1223   4767  4743  1999  6

Using command unique, I can count the distinct values of psic and ssic by
gvkey by year. So for psic it's 3 and for ssic it's 5. what I want is to
count the distinct values of both psic and ssic by gvkey by year. In this
case, it's 7 (4767, 4757, 4777, 4743, 4763, 4753, 4787). How to generate a
new variable for my purpose? Hope I'm clear now. Pls help.

Thanks.
Wanli Zhao