Re: st: RE: Using results from correlation matrices to pinpoint variables

From   Alejandro Delafuente <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Using results from correlation matrices to pinpoint variables
Date   Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:08:32 +0100 (BST)

Dear Nick, thanks for your advice. With some little adjustments it worked out!
Also, taking advantage of your generosity let me ask you a quick question: am
trying to drop some monthly variables in a time sequence (from january 1961 to
dec 2001) with missings in them. My code looks as follows:
foreach var of varlist jan* feb* ... dec* {
	if `var' ==. {
	drop `var'
	}
}
But for some reason it is not working. Can you tell why?
As always, many thanks.

In message <031173627889364697C50B3B266CBB8A101BA3@GEOGMAIL.geog.ad.dur.ac.uk>
[email protected] writes:
> It sounds as if the heart of this is something like
> this
>
> qui foreach x of var v4-v60 {
> 	local whichvar
> 	local highestr = 0
> 	foreach y of var v1-v3 {
> 		corr `x' `y'
> 		if r(rho) > 0.75 & r(rho) > `highestr' {
> 			local highestr = r(rho)
> 			local whichvar `y'
> 		}
> 	}
> 	if "`whichvar'" != "" {
> 		di "`y' `whichvar' `highestr'"
> 	}
> }
>
> Nick
> [email protected]

Alejandro de la Fuente
QEH/Department of International Development
Oxford University