Re: st: xtnbreg fe

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   Stata Listserve <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: xtnbreg fe
Date   Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:57:00 -0700 (PDT)

I sent a similar question about a week ago.  There was one response.  Both
are copied below; my question is interspersed with Scott Merryman's
answer.

Parenthetically, I am still puzzled why stata would change the
widely-understood meaning of fixed effect; is there some statistical
reason why fixed effects as normally understood would be a problem for
nbreg with a varying dispersion parameter?  If anyone can answer that, I'd
appreciate it.  However, anyway, hope the info below helps.

Sam

Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:16:34 -0500
From: Scott Merryman <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: "Regular" fixed effects and nbreg, in stata8.2?

Yes

> 2)If my understanding is correct, may one obtain a fixed effects nbreg
> model that *does* have a fixed effect, in the usual xB sense, for the unit
> to which each observation belongs and, if so, how?  (I don't need to see
> the fixed effect--if it drops out of the conditional model, that's fine--I
> just need for the usual fixed effect to drop out, not the dispersion
> parameter. For my analysis an equal dispersion parameter across units
> would be fine.).

You could use -poisson- with dummy variables.  Unlike other nonlinear
estimators, it does not suffer from an incidental parameters problem.  See
Cameron and Trivedi 1998, "Regression Analysis of Count Data" p. 280-282.

If you a large number of observations per cross section (enough that you
would be willing to estimate each cross section separately) you may be able
to get away with the use dummy variables (the inconsistency disappears as
T-> infinity).  On a similar topic, you may find the post by Bill Gould,
Vince Wiggins, and David Drukker helpful:
 http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-09/msg00103.html