Re: st: RE: Date + Time of Day

From   Sylvain Friederich <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Date + Time of Day
Date   Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:02:11 +0100 (BST)

I don't know if this is useful or more for the sake of
completeness but I tend to go down the (equivalent)
route suggested by Eric at the end of his original
message - just parse out all time and date information
from the original string variable and perhaps do:

. egen double tstp=dhms(edate hr min sec)

which, as far as I understand, is the same as:

. g double tstp = edate + (hr + min/60 + sec/3600)/24

Alternatively, Bill Gould once suggested to create a
variable containing the number of seconds since
01jan1960 00:00:00:

. gen double esecs = date*24*60*60 + hour*60*60 +
min*60 + sec

Best wishes,

Sylvain