st: RE: estimating a heckman sample selection model with panel data

From   "Alejandro Lopez-Feldman" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: estimating a heckman sample selection model with panel data
Date   Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:25:14 -0700 (PDT)

Colin,

It seems to me that your procedure might work well, altough it will only
work for random effects and not for fixed effects since xtprobit is only
valid for random effects. Also, as you do with the regular heckman, I think
that you will have to obtain the errors in a way that accounts for the fact
that you are including a predicted value (instead of an observed one) in
the second stage.

There are two alternatives that I know of to get fixed effects (or
something close to it) this are the references:

Kyriazidou, E. (1997). Estimation of a Panel Data Sample Selection Model.
Econometrica. 65 (6), pp. 1335-1364.

Wooldridge, J. (1995). Selection Corrections for Panel Data Models under
Conditional Mean Independence Assumptions. Journal of Econometrics. 68, pp.
115-132.

Alejandro

Alejandro Lopez-Feldman
Ph.D. Candidate