RE: st: RE: percent format

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: percent format
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:55:25 +0100

Thanks very much for the closing compliment.

I said I didn't know how to do it, not
that it can't be done.

However, the syntax you suggest will not be
implemented.

`=r(marker)' (or `r(marker)') could only pick up
something left behind by the _previous_ program.

When you type a Stata command, macro references
are interpreted _before_ that command ever does
anything. (It might be illegal, in which case
nothing will get done.) So r(marker) would have
to be in memory first.

If you have the idea of doing this twice,
and picking up r(marker) second time round
the problem then is that you want this done
generically for all bars. However, r(marker)
could only be used for a single item of information.

Rather, this is a case, I think -- and a better example than
some I've seen -- where you do want, and need, a
percent format to get what you desire.

Frank de Libero