Re: st: Exact logistic regression (AWAY)

From   "Arthur Blank" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Exact logistic regression (AWAY)
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:35:04 -0400

respond to e-mails. I will  respond to your e-mail when I return. Thank
you.
  Arthur E. Blank,Ph.D.
  Department of Family and Social Medicine

>>> "[email protected]" 06/13/05 14:37 >>>

Writing an exact logistic regression routine is extremely difficult.
Moreover, because the algorithms depend on solving a number of complex
permutations,
unless the algorithms are extremely efficient, the solution of a
logistic
regression model may take an inordinate amount of time.

Cytel's LogiXact is the only software I know of that handles exact
logistic
regression. LogiXact estimates exact Poisson regression models as  well.
By
exact it is meant that exact p-values are calculated; they are not
based on
asymptotic methods.

Even using LogiXact, which is state-of-the-art, only relatively small
models
can be estimated. Fortunately LogiXact -- as does StatXact, it
nonoparametric statistics companion -- allows users to estimate p-values
based  on Monte
Carlo methods when the data is too complex for the exact procedures.

LogiXact is best used for models with few categorical predictors (2 to
4),
which are either binary or indicator variables or categorical variables

limited to 3 or perhaps 4 levels. Larger models usually have to be
estimated  using
Monte Carlo -- which typically results in p-values close to those
produced  by
exact methods.

Stata may someday offer a variety of nonparametric exact statistics -- I

certainly hope so (especially since SAS and SPSS have recently
"borrowed"
Cytel's published code to offer exact statistics capabilities), or even
exact
statsitics for normal or Gaussian based tests/models (T-tests, ANOVA,
OLS), but I
suspect that due to the amount of processing involved that they  won't
deal
with exact logistic and poisson models very soon. And given the
limitations of
LogXact for such models, I do not believe it would be a  worthwhile
enterprise
until computing power has greatly advanced. By the way,  XPro is the
only
software package that handles exact statististics  for Gaussian-based
models (as
above).

The American Statistician has published a number of reviews over teh
past
two years of exact statistics software. A summary review of all packages
is
planned for the November issue. For those interested in this area of
statistics
I recommend taking a look at these articles.
Joe HIlbe

Dear Listers,

I wonder if there is a way to estimate exact logistic  regression by
now.
I have found a discussion that took place about one year  ago ("Cytel
Challenge")
where Joseph Hilbe mentioned that such a  procedure is not yet
available.

My analysis is dealing with a data set  that does not behave very well -

data
are sparse, n is small and the  sample distribution is skewed. I build
my inference by way of contingency  tables, however I would like to
run a logit model (dep.var.: coded nominal  0/1, indep.vars.: ordered
categorical coded 1/2/3) to check strength and  direction of
association.

I do not trust the LR chi2 statistics and  standard errors, as they
rely on asymptotic theory which I feel is  inappropriate for my data
set.

Any suggestions as to how Stata might  implement exact logistic
regression for this case? I have though about  running a GLM, however
I do not know if this is appropriate for small sample  sizes.

Best  regards,
Marcus
___________________________________
Marcus Matthias  Keupp, Dipl.-Kfm.