Re: st: Reading the letters in a name up to aparticular character in Stata 8.2

From   "Dev Vencappa" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Reading the letters in a name up to aparticular character in Stata 8.2
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:41:34 +0100

Thanks a lot for that. I just found out the solution while browsing through the string functions in Stata 8.

Many thanks
Dev

>>> [email protected] 06/13/05 1:27 pm >>>
>  apologies if this has been posted  before and I missed it. I have a
>  string variable which is the name of companies (fictitious example
>  follows):
>
> XYZ, International
> ABCDE, National
> DFTRER, Exports
>
> etc
>
> I want  to keep only the first part of the company name (e.g. keep XYZ
> ABCDE DFTRER, etc). The obvious solution is to ask Stata to read the
> letters and chop off anything from the character "," onwards, but am
> not very sure which command to use in Stata 8.2  to be able to do
> that.

An almost identical problem cropped up on the list last week initiated by Heather Gold.

The various response should provide you with a solution, see...

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-06/msg00163.html

Regards

Neil

Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"If your result needs a statistician then you should design a better experiment" -
Ernest Rutherford