Re: RE: st: RE: Automatically changing -ylabel()- values using -graph-

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: RE: st: RE: Automatically changing -ylabel()- values using -graph-
Date   Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:42:35 +0100 (BST)

Scott Merryman replied:

> 1.  This is a panel data set with 140 unique ids so -twoway line- will
> produce 140 lines per variable which will be rather messy, maybe even
> violent.

I chose -abdata- because it was the only -webuse- data I could find that
contained plentiful data on several percentage variables, much like the
ones I have in my own data. I also chose it because I thought that Nick
Cox was suggesting to me that it might instructive to use such data so
that all interested parties (at least, those who have -mylabels-!) could
replicate the problem I was having for themselves (as you've very kindly
done: thanks very much). That said, I should have -collapse-d the data
before running the graphs.

> 2. Why are you manually specifying the ylabel option when -mylabels-
> will do it for you?

Initially, I was doing that, and I'm not sure I could give a cogent,
intelligent answer as to why I didn't do so there. Let's call it an
oversight.

> 3.  In your ylabel option, should it not be: ylabel(1 "100" .75 ....)
> not ylabel(.1 "100" .75 ....).

Yes, it should, but that's settled by -ylabel(`label100'...)-, as you
point out.

> 4. Does this produce the graph you want:
>
> use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r8/abdata.dta,clear
> collapse (mean) emp wage, by(year)
> replace emp= emp/100
> replace wage= wage/100
> mylabels 0(25)100, myscale(@/100) local(label100)
>
> twoway line emp wage year , xtitle("") ///
>   ylabel(`label100', angle(0)) ///
>   clpattern(dash) scheme(s1mono)

It certainly produces the correct _graph_ (i.e., only two lines, and
scaled in the right proportions). But notice that the y-axis labels are
_still_ normalized to the 0-1 scale (do you get the same?), when they
should be labelled from 0-100.

I take very seriously Nick Cox's rejoinder that you get in Stata what you
ask it to do, but I'm now running what everybody would now agree is the
correct code, and I'm still not getting quite the desired output. I'm not
sure what else I can say.

CLIVE NICHOLAS        |t: 0(044)7903 397793
Politics              |e: [email protected]
Newcastle University  |http://www.ncl.ac.uk/geps

Whereever you go and whatever you do, just remember this. No matter how
many like you, admire you, love you or adore you, the number of people
turning up to your funeral will be largely determined by local weather
conditions.