st: Using variables in numlist of forvalue command

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Using variables in numlist of forvalue command
Date   Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:33:21 -0500

I'm trying to change several variables in each observation. The problem is that the number of variables I want to update is different for each observation and this number is a variable in that observation. I've tried using a forvalues loop, which works if I specify a stop and start number, but I cannot find a way to put a variable in the numlist allowing this to change for each observation.

Here's the command that works:
        forvalues daynum = 2/10 {
        replace date`daynum'=date1+`daynum'-1
        }

But when I replace the 10 with the variable that tells me how many date variables to change, I get a syntax error.
        forvalues daynum = 2/daysupply {
        replace date`daynum'=date1+`daynum'-1
        }

Any suggestions?