Re: st: dtobit and tobcm in Stata 9

Subject   Re: st: dtobit and tobcm in Stata 9
Date   Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:14:17 -0500

At 07:14 AM 6/8/2005 -0700, Alejandro Lopez-Feldman wrote:

Dear all,

I have tried to use dtobit and tobcm in Stata 9 but I get back the warning

[_se] not found

I guess something changed from 8 to 9 in the way in which standard errors
are saved after tobit... I can get it to work if I set the version to 8.2
but I was wondering if the authors of these ado files are on the list and
if they are aware of the problem.
I bet this is the same issue that came up the other day with the Long and Freese spost commands. Stata has changed the way some results are internally stored, e.g. using equation names when it did not use to do so. I'm not totally sure what that accomplished - other than breaking old post-estimation routines!- but I suppose there was some reason for it.

As you say, you can use the version command, although this might cost you some 9.0 functionality.

If this is going to be a widespread problem, rather than rewriting all these old routines (which the authors may or may not choose to do) I wonder how hard it would be to write a routine that reformats e(b) and e(V) from 9.0 to 8.0 format? I suppose it would depend on whether one conversion routine would work for everything or whether it would have to be customized for each of several different commands.

It might also be that rewrites are a minor matter - just search for the old problematic text and replace it with the appropriate new text.

It would be nice if Stata had a FAQ on updating user-written routines for Stata 9, which discussed the most common problems and offered possible solutions. Post-estimation routines seem to be the prime candidates for problems, since the use of version control may not help unless you also use the version command with the original estimation routine.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]