st: problem with merge

From   "Ann E Fitzmaurice" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: problem with merge
Date   Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:29:28 +0100

Hi

I have variables of the format in one file from dhs
caseid1
1002 9
100211
in a separate file I concatenate two variables and the format becomes
caseid1
10029
100211
what I would like to do is to eliminate the blanks from the variables in
each file using trim but cannot get it to work, and then to split the
variable caseid1 into two variables to remove the blank in the middle and
then rejoin the two variables so that I can merge

the one file has details relating to household, one line per household, the
second file has details relating to the household member so want the
household details to be applied to all household members
can anyone help

regards

ann

Ann E Fitzmaurice