st: Fisher's exact test in r x c contingency tables

From   Marcus Keupp <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Fisher's exact test in r x c contingency tables
Date   Thu, 2 Jun 2005 07:25:20 +0200

Dear Listers,

in my understanding Fisher's exact test (FET) is applicable in
2x2 contingency tables only. However, Stata help contends
that "... Fisher's exact test ... may be applied to r x c tables
as well as to 2x2 tables".

I have heard of some algorithm in SAS that seems to apply FET
to r x c tables, but I still wonder whether this is appropriate. Is Stata
maybe computing something similar? The only difference in output
is that in 2x2 tables, 1- and 2-sided p values are computed, whereas
in r x c tables one (apparently one-sided) p value only is shown.

What is your opinion? At the moment I rather think about applying
tests that were designed for ordinal / ordinal relationships in r x c
contingency tables (say, Goodman and Kruskal's gamma) than
embarking on a potentially hazardous procedure.

Best regards
Marcus
Marcus Matthias Keupp, Dipl.-Kfm.
Research Associate